Dodge City is the pure definition of the West . . .
Situated on the Santa Fe Trail, Fort Dodge was established in 1865 to protect freight wagons on the way to and from Santa Fe.
Dodge City was born on the open prairie 5 miles west of the fort in 1872. In its early days, it was known as "Hide Town" as hundreds of thousands of buffalo hides were shipped per year by rail car.
Soon, Texas cattle were filling the streets and with them came the cowboys. So much so, that Dodge City became known as the "Cowboy Capital of the World!" Law and order also rode into town in the form of Bat Masterson, Wyatt Earp and Bill Tilghman, among others.
"Relive the Legend" at Boot Hill Museum where actual artifacts of the real Dodge City are on display or take in the daily gunfights on the street. Cattle are still King in Dodge, as hundreds of thousands of cattle are still a part of our economy.